Sunday, April 6, 2014

Balsamic Glazed Crock-Pot Pork Loin



This is probably one of CM's favorite meals that I make. I've literally made it once a week for the past 3 or 4 weeks. But, that hasn't been much of a problem to me because a) it's a Crock-Pot meal, so it requires very little effort, and b) Kroger was having an amaaaaaaaaaaaaazing deal on pork loins. I'm talking, we saved more than 50% on each loin. The one I'm preparing for this post is 4.5 lb, and normally about $20. We got it for $9. Needless to say, we stocked up on them and have several in our freezer. But I digress...

This meal, unlike most others I make, doesn't have any cheese involved, unless I make a cheesy side dish. And I probably will. Again, I digress. CM helped me "prep" this meal by chopping up the vegetables. It's my least favorite part, especially since I almost chopped my hand off when making this a few weeks ago while cutting up the onion. I may be slightly exaggerating. I did slice my finger open pretty badly, though, and thought I'd have to get stitches, but I sucked it up because I'm afraid of getting stitches. My thumb eventually got better, and I moved on, except for I now slice vegetables at a snail's pace.

So who's ready for the recipe?

Here's what you need for the pork loin:
  • 4 to 4 1/2 lb pork loin
  • 1 C of water
  • 2 Tbs of tomato paste
  • 1 1/2 lb carrots
  • 1/2 large sweet onion diced or in chunks (your preference)
  • 2 medium russet potatoes or 5 red potatoes cut into chunks
  • 1 C of beef stock
  • 1/4 C of balsamic vinegar
  • 1/4 C of soy sauce
Here's what you need for the balsamic glaze:
  • 1/2 cup of light brown sugar
  • 1 Tbs of cornstarch
  • 1/4 C of balsamic vinegar
  • 1/2 C of water
  • 2 Tbs soy sauce
Here's what you do to make the pork loin:
  • Put the loin into your Crock-Pot.
  • Pour in the water.
  • Add 1 Tbs of tomato paste on each side of the loin and stir it a little.
  • Add your carrots, onion, and potatoes on top.
 
I love me some carrots!

  • Pour the beef stock, balsamic vinegar, and soy sauce on top.
  • Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or high for 4 hours.


Here's what you do to make the balsamic glaze:
  • When the loin is almost done (about 15-20 minutes before you're ready to serve), combine all ingredients for the glaze into a small sauce pan.
  • Bring the mixture to a boil.
  • Turn the heat down to low, allow the glaze to simmer, and stir it occasionally until it thickens. 


When you're ready, remove the loin from the Crock-Pot and slice it. Pour as much or as little glaze over it as you would like. Remove the vegetables from the Crock-Pot and put them in a bowl to serve. I prefer pouring the broth over the vegetables before serving for the delicious flavor, but you don't have to do that if you would rather not. 




If you want to use a smaller loin, such as a 2 lb loin, simply use half of the ingredients that are listed for just the loin- do not adjust the glaze recipe.

I want to give a special thank you to Julie's Eats & Treats because that is where I found the recipe for the balsamic vinegar glaze!





Leave me a message and let me know what you think about this tasty, easy, meal! Be sure to share it with your family and friends so they can enjoy it too.




    No comments:

    Post a Comment