Friday, April 4, 2014

Strawberry Lemonade Sugar Cookies




It was a rainy, ugly day in Kentucky yesterday. And those kinds of days make me want to do absolutely nothing. I know I'm not the only one. So I decided we'd have the leftover ravioli that I made on Wednesday (when I post things, it's typically going to be the day after I've made it). But, because it's becoming spring, and my sweet tooth was aching, I had to make something special and sugary. I decided to take a nap with this little guy first though.


AB is so sweet when he naps. :)

After we woke up from our nap (I got a full 3 hours!!), I got to baking. I had a couple of lemons in my refrigerator that needed to be used, so I was originally just going to make lemon sugar cookies. Then I thought about the strawberry jello mix I had in the cabinet and decided that strawberry lemonade sugar cookies sounded much more appetizing and more spring-y. 


Here's what you need:
  • 3/4 cup of sugar
  • 2/3 cup of vegetable oil
  • 2 tsp of baking powder
  • 2 1/2 tsp of strawberry extract
  • 1/2 tsp of salt
  • 2 eggs
  • Juice from 2 medium-sized lemons
  • 3 cups of flour
  • 1 Tbs of strawberry Jell-O mix
  • 1 Tbs of lemon Jell-O mix
Here's what you do:
  • Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and line your pans with parchment paper.
  • Mix only the sugar, oil, baking powder, strawberry extract, salt, eggs, and lemon juice with a spoon.
  • Stir in the flour slowly.
    • The dough may not seem to be your typical "cookie consistency," but it will work, I promise. 
  • In a small dish, mix together 1 Tbs of the strawberry Jell-O and 1 Tbs of the lemon Jell-O (if you got the smallest box they sell, it should be 1 Tbs of mix total in the packet). Stir together the two mixes until they've blended.
  • Drop 1 Tbs of dough onto the cookie sheets.
  • Sprinkle a little bit of the Jell-O mixture on top of each of the cookies.
  • Bake at 400 for 7 minutes.
  • Let them sit on their pan for about 5 minutes before moving them to some parchment paper or a wire rack.

This recipe yields about 26-28 cookies. And they don't grow much in width, so if you want wider cookies than what I made, just use your spoon and spread the dough out a little more to make them bigger.

Strawberry lemonade is one of CM's favorite flavor combination, so he was really excited when I made these cookies. I actually had to tell him he wasn't allowed to eat any more cookies (aside from the two that he taste-tested), until I could get some photos taken for everyone!


So I really hope that this gloomy weather doesn't get anyone down too much, and that these cookies help you feel a little brighter! Let me know what you think about them, and be sure to share this recipe with your family and friends if you love it!


No comments:

Post a Comment