Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Homemade Oatmeal Cream Pies

Homemade Oatmeal Cream Pies | Mint Kitchen Love



One of CM's most favorite snacks is the Little Debbie Oatmeal Cream Pie. When he was deployed, I think I sent enough of them to own half of the company. Needless to say, when I came across this recipe, I was super excited for him to try it. It isn't a clone of the Little Debbie kind, but he told me he would prefer me making them from now on rather than buying them. So I'll take that.


They're probably the easiest cookie I've ever made. And since I'm just starting out, I didn't even think to take photos of everything as I was making them. I'm almost certain they'll get made again very soon, and I'll be sure to take photos of the actual process.

Here is what you'll need for the cookies:
  •      1 cup butter, softened
                               *side note: I never promised these were healthy.
  •     3/4 cup brown sugar
  •     1/2 cup granulated sugar
  •     2 eggs
  •     1 teaspoon vanilla
  •     1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  •     1 teaspoon baking soda
  •     1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  •     1/2 teaspoon salt
  •     2 cups old-fashioned, uncooked Quaker Oats (the kind that comes in the big tub, not the instant packets)

Here is what you'll need for the cream:

  •     8 ounces cream cheese, softened
                                  *side note: please don't forget to make sure the cream cheese is softened or you run the risk of little tiny cream cheese pellets in your cookies.
  •     2 Tablespoons heavy cream 0r milk
  •     1 teaspoon vanilla
  •     3 cups powdered sugar

Here is how to make your cookies:

  • Preheat your oven to 350°.
  • Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
  • Beat together the butter and both kinds of sugar until the mixture is creamy.
  • Add in your eggs and vanilla, then beat that until it is all combined.
  • Add your flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Mix that until it's all combined.
  • Stir in the oats.
  • Add rounded tablespoons onto the prepared baking sheets. (I used an actual tablespoon measuring spoon, and they came out into very nice circles)
  • Make sure to space the balls apart at least 2 inches apart. (I only put 6 cookies per sheet)
  • Bake for 10 to 11 minutes only. Don’t over bake!Let them sit for about 5 or so minutes before transferring them to another surface. They should be firm enough to pick up and move.

Here is how you make your cream:

  • Beat the cream cheese with an electric hand-mixer on low until it's creamy.
  • Add the heavy cream and vanilla.
  • Slowly add the powdered sugar, one cup at a time, until the frosting is smooth.

Here is how you assemble them:

I took a regular spoon and spooned the cream onto one cookie, then smooshed another cookie on top.

Depending on how creamy (and messy) you want them to be, I suggest adding 1-2 tablespoons of cream to each pie.

You can be fancy and use a piping bag if you wish, but that's not how I like to work.

This recipe makes about 14-16 cookies (if you can keep other people away from the freshly baked cookies - I'm looking at you CM!)



Homemade Oatmeal Cream Pies | Mint Kitchen Love

It seemed that they were very well enjoyed, and only 4 made it through to the next day. They were still very fresh tasting after only being covered in saran wrap, as well. So let me know what you think when you make them!

No comments:

Post a Comment